I came across this wonderful list online yesterday about the most popular books being read on the NY subway. Now, I don’t live in NY, but I do live a hop, skip & a jump away. Whenever I find myself in NY, and on the subway, I absolutely MUST have a book with me. There is nothing more awkward than being on the subway, with nothing to do, and looking around trying not to make eye contact with anyone. Eye contact is definitely a no-go!
The Survey was taken in the Fall of 2009 and does reflect some of whats popular right now. I’ve only read a few books on this list, but some are on my To-Read list. Some are currently movies and some are not. One is written by a fellow Rutgers Graduate. Have you read any of them?
1. Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (I said I would read this when the hype died down. I am not a big fan of reading what’s trendy right now.)
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
3. The Time Traveler’s Wife ( I heard the book was better than the movie.)
4. Infinite Jest (Never heard of it)
5. Netherland (???)
6. The Onmivore Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (This actually sounds really interesting– Following 4 meals as they come to fruition.
7. Twilight (guilty, but I refused to buy it! I only read it when it was won free. And it’s for research purposes! I swear!!)
8. My Life in France
10. Anna Karenina (Classic, but I have to admit I never read it. I said I wanted to, but it hasn’t made its way to my house yet.)
For the rest of the list check it out at FlashLightWorthybooks.com. One of those listed I find hard pressed to believe people are actually reading this on the subway, but I guess its true. Weird but true.